Evanston Fire Department history Part 31

From Phil Stenholm:

Another installment in the History of the Evanston Fire Department

GOLDEN ANNIVERSARY (continued)

Station #2, located at 750 Chicago Avenue, was a three-bay firehouse completed in February 1903. It replaced the old one-bay firehouse that had been built in 1888 on the site of the former South Evanston Village Hall. The annexation of South Evanston by the Village of Evanston in 1892 eventually led to the formation of the City of Evanston.

Engine Company 2:

  • Captain: Pat Gaynor (hired in 1903, promoted to Lieutenant in 1914, and Captain in 1924)
  • Lieutenant: Ed McEnery (hired in 1908, promoted to Lieutenant in 1918)
  • Engineer: Max Kraatz (hired in 1904, promoted to Assistant Engineer in 1906, and Engineer in 1919)
  • Assistant Engineer: William Richards (hired in 1908, promoted to Assistant Engineer in 1912)
  • Firemen: George Gushwa (1901), John Balmes (1913), Frank Didier (1916), Lawrence Ahrens (1920), Joe Becker (1920), George Paugels (1922), William Brundage (1924), Bernie Lindberg (1924)

Station #3, situated at 2504 West Railroad Avenue, was a two-bay firehouse completed in January 1901.

Engine Company 3:

  • Captain: George Hargreaves (hired in 1894, promoted to Lieutenant in 1902, and Captain in 1903)
  • Lieutenant: Ed Newton (hired in 1908, promoted to Lieutenant in 1924)
  • Motor Driver: Frank Altenberg (hired as Engineer in 1915, certified as Motor Driver in 1918)
  • Assistant Motor Driver: John Tesnow (hired in 1911, promoted to Assistant Motor Driver in 1924)
  • Firemen: John Wilbern (1908), Carl Dorband (1916), Henry Thoms (1916), William Elliott (1924), Mike Olk (1924), Walt Caple (1925)

EFD Apparatus (May 1925):

At Station #1:

Chief’s Automobile (“Auto-Buggy”): A 1917 Haynes touring car equipped with two fire extinguishers (one five-gallon water can and one chemical), along with hand tools such as axes, pry bars, ropes, lanterns, megaphones, and keys for fire alarm boxes.

Truck No. 1: A 1924 Seagrave tractor-drawn aerial ladder truck featuring an 85-foot wooden ladder, multiple hand ladders, a life net, ten salvage covers, four fire extinguishers, and various tools like pike poles, axes, and ropes. Replaced the 1917 Seagrave city-service truck in September 1924.

Truck No. 2: A 1917 Seagrave Model “E” city service truck, including a 50-gallon chemical tank, 150 feet of chemical hose, a life net, a jack, hand ladders, and more. This replaced older equipment from 1917.

Engine No. 1: A 1917 Seagrave triple-combination pumper with a 50-gallon chemical tank, 1,250 feet of 2-1/2 inch hose, and other tools. Replaced the 1911 Robinson Jumbo in 1918.

Engine No. 4 (Reserve): A 1911 Robinson Jumbo, the first motorized engine used by the EFD. It was placed in reserve in 1918 after being used as "Motor Engine No. 1" from 1911 to 1918.

Evanston Police Ambulance: A 1916 White / Erby ambulance equipped with a stretcher, first aid gear, and an inhalator. It was staffed by police officers and firefighters, and a second reserve inhalator was kept ready for use on any available rig.

At Station #2:

Engine No. 2: A 1906 American LaFrance steamer pulled by a 1918 Seagrave tractor. It was modified in 1918 after the last horses were retired.

Hose No. 2: A 1917 Seagrave booster-pumper, replacing older equipment. It served as a hose wagon and chemical engine for the tractorized steamer.

At Station #3:

Engine No. 3: A 1917 Seagrave booster-pumper, replacing the 1895 Ahrens steamer and 1885 Davenport hose tender. It was one of the newer, more advanced engines in the department.

Environmentally Friendly Copper Remover

Copper removal agent for lead smelting,Coarse lead copper remover,Smoke free lead removal of copper

LUANCHUAN COUNTY HENGKAI METALLURGICAL MATERIALS SALES CO.,LTD , https://www.pyritechina.com